Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ya Gotta Love a Jack Russell

If any of you out there own a Jack Russell you know that they are among the most energetic and friendly dogs around. I have had the pleasure of having one as part of my family for twelve years now. "Dixie" is finally slowing down a bit but only a bit.

As a puppy she would run laps around the laps of everyone in the room - including my 85 year old Grandmother who was really not to excited about it. My Grandfather on the other hand, must have been some kind of dog whisperer. He could always get Dixie to calm down and sit in his lap. Even as my Grandfather got up into his 90s I would bring Dixie to his retirement villa and Dixie would calmly sit on Grandpa's lap.

Anyway, at 12 - almost 13 years old, you would think she might be slowing down some. Well, she does sleep more than she used to, but slowing down is not on her agenda. The other day, I let her out behind the townhouse that we have been living in since we moved to Kentucky. These particular townhouses are four to a row and there is another row of them on the other side of the "backyard" that we all share.

So, I let her out and all of a sudden she takes off like a shot toward the last "house" on the other side. The door is open, and she proceeds to run right in. Now, you have to understand that Dixie LOVES everyone, but everyone doesn't love dogs. I understand that, but she doesn't ...so I go running after her - in heels no less since I had just gotten home from work. I sort of knock - not wanting to just walk into someone's home, and realize that knocking is not going to solve the problem.

As I walk through the door, there is a woman who doesn't speak English and is dressed in non-American garb holding a baby and screaming! There are also about 7 or 8 (it seemed like 10) children running around apparently not wanting to meet my friendly dog. One of these children is sitting on the floor (there is absolutely no furniture in this house) eating spaghetti o's - which Dixie assumes is dog food since it is in a bowl on the floor (makes sense to me)...Anyway, you get the picture....lots of screaming, me trying to grab the dog, continuously saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry", which I don't think anyone understood. I finally scooped up my loving dog, and proceeded to carry her back home.

Needless to say, I now no longer let her out back without a leash. She wants to head to where the spaghetti-o dog food is (can't blame her). Luckily for the neighbors and for Dixie we are moving out to a farm in the country next week. Somehow, I don't think those neighbors will miss us.

1 comment:

  1. So has Dixie gotten her own treat of spaghetti'o's yet??

    Pictures of the new place? Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete